Friday, January 06, 2006

Artist? Artiste? Or am I just full of sh!t?

Had an overall interesting but busy and tiring weekend. From Friday to Saturday I had a fully packed schedule. But first let me say good luck Azer in St. Louis. It was a nice going away party on Saturday and I'm glad one of us has the nuts to start anew somewhere out in the world. I don't know if they're corn fed out there but if they try and string you up let me know and I'll let you borrow some firearms to defend yourself.

As for Sunday, I spent the day helping my bud Steve move from West L.A. back to Hashimoto Heights. And let me say I'm pretty much worthless when it comes to manual labor. Picking up heavy things and moving furniture is something more for Iron Jay then for a feminine guy like myself. I mean, do I look like I can carry your TV? I might as well have baked brownies and made them lunch if I wanted to be useful...

But Friday. Friday was an eye opener for me. I had a day of art and culture with an old friend as I explored downtown L.A. and viewed the corporate art out there. It seems kind of lame that I've lived in L.A. my whole life and I work as an artist, but I haven't really experienced the L.A. art scene and what it has to offer. It was amazing to me how many beautiful artistic pieces there are in downtown L.A. considering it's a business district. I mean, almost every building had a work of art sitting at their doorstep. And my friend, she pretty much new everything about each one. I was thoroughly impressed but sad at the same time. Sad that I didn't know crap of any of this...

And after this experience, later that night we went to the Hollywood Bowl to watch and listen to the L.A. Orchestra featuring Trisha Yearwood, Joshua Bell, and Josh Grobin. They all performed beautifully making for a very entertaining night.

It was just an overall amazing day. But it made me think of what I really am. I mean, yeah, I work as a graphic designer, but am I really an artist? I've always considered myself one but when it comes to actual skill and knowledge, I think I'm more of a hand shaker disguised as one. My knowledge of art history dates back to my crayola days... That's about it. Other than that, I don't really know much of who's done what and why. Most of the time I can't even tell why something looks and/or feels amazing.

But oh well... I guess that's who I am. I think coming to terms of who I am is better than thinking I'm something I'm not. At least this way, I can work on faking it better and giving off the image that I'm a starving successful artist. (Insert Marketing guy laugh ) Lets just hope people appreciate me now instead of until after I die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home